This post is mainly for system administrators out there needing information on how to fix a cyrus imapd index/header corruption. I think my MS Outlook messed up the cyrus index headers for my e-mail account when I accidentally clicked 'Undo Delete' on a message that was already deleted and purged from the INBOX.
Since then, on my Outlook, it would give me this error: "Failed to update headers." I wasn't able to delete or purge messages from my INBOX. I was able to do normal functions on my TRASH folder.
LOG ERRORS FROM /var/log/maillog
Mar 29 19:29:20 c2000 imap: open: user email@example.com opened INBOX
Mar 29 19:29:21 c2000 master: process 21893 exited, signaled to death by 11
Mar 29 19:29:21 c2000 master: service imap pid 21893 in BUSY state: terminated abnormally
Also got these...
Mar 29 19:57:54 c2000 last message repeated 2 times
Mar 29 19:57:55 c2000 imap: SQUAT failed to open index file
Mar 30 19:57:55 c000 imap: SQUAT failed
HOW I FIXED IT WITH WEBMAIL
1. I went to my webmail and I was able to access all of my messages. I use SquirrelMail. I moved all of my messages and moved it into the TRASH folder, which I knew was not corrupted.
2. I accessed it with my MS Outlook and all my INBOX messages were gone (as expected). I sent two test messages to myself and it showed up. I then deleted those two messages and purged it and the action was successful. That means I didn't get the error messages anymore.
3. I went ahead and moved back my messages from my TRASH folder into the INBOX. Mission success!
HOW I FIXED IT WITHOUT WEBMAIL
1. If you don't have webmail/SquirrelMail, you could also manually do this by going to your mail folder and manually moving messages. My mail folder was: /var/spool/imap/domain/e/email.com/d/user/don
2. I created a /backup folder.
3. I moved all of my messages to the /backup folder. The messages are usually named as 5 digit numbers. I saw most of my messages numbered as 4xxxx so I just 'mv 4* /backup'.
4. I went back to MS Outlook and accessed my INBOX and I was able to without any errors.
This solution worked for me and I'm blogging about it just in case it happens again -- at least I know what to do. If it still gives you problem, please refer to the manual or go to online discussion boards and ask some admins.