This screenshot shows what happens when Adobe Lightroom 3 (LR3) is properly installed and has the capability to open image files. However, I found a bug where this particular option would disappear. Here's how to replicate it or in case you are experiencing the problem, this is how to fix it:
- Paid $99 to upgrade LR3 Beta to LR3 official release
- In the past, I was able to right click on images and load it in LR3 Beta directly
- When I upgraded, that option to right click disappeared, LR3 or LR3 Beta was not in the choices.
- Attempts to manually add it using typical 'associate with' method in Windows was futile.
- Go to your registry (run 'regedit')
- Go to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\lightroom.exe\shell\open\command
- Modify it to reflect the new path of the new LR3 version that you installed. This key when I opened it still had the LR3 Beta file path, which the installer failed to update.
It seems like the upgrade installer does not properly fix the old registry keys for the LR3 beta version. This causes a conflict and Windows simply removes LR3 from the open with dialog box.
I have highlighted the correct path in the registry to what it should look like.
Please note it is dangerous to mess around with your registry keys if you don't know what you are doing. Back it up before doing anything, but if you have no clue how to do it .... just don't do it.
There have been some talk in the Microsoft troubleshooting forums that this happens to upgrades. Someone mentioned it occurred in a Photoshop 7 to CS3 upgrade. I have suggested this to Adobe as a bug fix.